There’s something incredibly satisfying about a hearty and flavorful casserole dish, and chicken enchilada casserole is no exception. Packed with tender chicken, gooey cheese, and the bold flavors of Mexican spices, this dish is a crowd favorite and a perfect comfort food option for any occasion. Whether you’re a seasoned chef or a novice in the kitchen, this foolproof recipe will guide you through the process of making a delicious chicken enchilada casserole that will have everyone coming back for seconds.
Preparation Time: 30 minutes
Cooking Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour and 10 minutes
– 2 cups cooked chicken breast, shredded
– 1 tablespoon olive oil
– 1 small onion, diced
– 2 cloves garlic, minced
– 1 jalapeno, seeds removed and finely chopped
– 1 teaspoon cumin
– 1 teaspoon chili powder
– 1 teaspoon dried oregano
– Salt and pepper to taste
– 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
– 1 cup corn kernels (fresh or frozen)
– 1 can (10 ounces) enchilada sauce
– 1 cup sour cream
– 2 cups shredded Mexican cheese blend
– 8 corn tortillas, cut into quarters
– Fresh cilantro, chopped (for garnish)
1. Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C). Grease a 9×13-inch baking dish and set aside.
2. In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the diced onion, minced garlic, and chopped jalapeno. Sauté until the onion is translucent and the vegetables are fragrant.
3. Add the shredded chicken to the skillet and sprinkle with cumin, chili powder, dried oregano, salt, and pepper. Stir well to coat the chicken with the spices and cook for an additional 2-3 minutes.
4. Stir in the black beans, corn kernels, and half of the enchilada sauce into the skillet. Cook for another 2-3 minutes until heated through. Remove from heat and set aside.
5. In a separate bowl, combine the sour cream with the remaining enchilada sauce. Mix until well combined.
6. Spread a thin layer of the sour cream mixture over the bottom of the prepared baking dish. Arrange 8 overlapping tortilla quarters over the sauce.
7. Spoon half of the chicken and bean mixture over the tortillas, spreading it evenly. Top with half of the shredded cheese. Repeat the layers with another layer of tortilla quarters, the remaining chicken and bean mixture, and finish with the remaining shredded cheese.
8. Pour the remaining sour cream mixture over the top, ensuring it covers the entire casserole. Cover the baking dish with aluminum foil and bake in the preheated oven for 25 minutes.
9. Remove the foil and continue baking for an additional 15 minutes or until the cheese is melted and bubbly, and the edges are lightly golden.
10. Remove the casserole from the oven and let it cool for 5-10 minutes before serving. Garnish with chopped cilantro and serve hot.
Similar Recipe: Beef Enchilada Casserole
If you’re a fan of beef, or simply looking to switch things up, you can easily adapt this recipe to make a delicious beef enchilada casserole instead. Follow the same steps outlined above, but substitute the cooked chicken breast with 2 cups of cooked ground beef. Use beef enchilada sauce instead of the regular enchilada sauce, and add some sliced bell peppers or diced tomatoes for an extra burst of flavor. The rest of the recipe remains the same.
This beef enchilada casserole variation offers a heartier and bolder taste while still delivering the same comforting flavors that make enchilada casseroles so popular. It’s a great way to cater to different preferences or to surprise your guests with a twist on the traditional chicken version.
In conclusion, mastering the art of making chicken enchilada casserole is as simple as following this foolproof recipe. With its tender chicken, cheesy goodness, and distinctive Mexican flavors, this dish is sure to become a family favorite. Whether you stick to the traditional chicken version or venture into a beef variation, this casserole will undoubtedly impress your loved ones. So, put on your apron, gather your ingredients, and get ready to enjoy a delicious homemade chicken enchilada casserole that will have everyone asking for more.
Image by Pixabay
“The adventure of life is to learn. The purpose of life is to grow. The nature of life is to change. The challenge of life is to overcome. The essence of life is to care. The opportunity of like is to serve. The secret of life is to dare. The spice of life is to befriend. The beauty of life is to give.” —William Arthur Ward